ARDUINO FIGHTER

The goal was to conceive an experience that should measure the performance in a playful way which would give the user the desire to start over and over.

 

I wasn't alone. We formed a pair with Florian Le Gall, another student.

 

The context of this experience was set in the break room of a business incubator.
We had to create it using an arduino and generate the interface with Processing.

We inspired our selves from Dance Dance Revolution and rythm games for creating the gameplay of the experience.

For the way the device should look, we went for a traditional way, basing our design on the traditional wooden mannequin used in several martial arts. This was a way to present our experience as something that is not just a game but a way to work out.

 

On the technical side we used piezzo shock sensor fixed under foam on a large wooden stick. There were 7 sensors on the stick and 2 others under the feet of the player like on some video game's dance mats.

Testing the interface

We created a first version of the interface on paper before doing anything on a computer. Then we tested it with a fake device made of cardboard.

 

We used the "wizard of oz" method.

Several people tried out our interface and we ended up doing major changes. After doing important changes we tested it over until we had something we found solid enough to be designed on computer and not having new changes over time that would have lead us to loose a lot of time in redoing everything.

 

Several people tried out our interface and we ended up doing major changes. After doing important changes we tested it over until we had something we found solid enough to be designed on computer and not having new changes over time that would have led us to loose a lot of time in redoing everything.

Nerd times

When tests were done it was time to go arduino. We started to set the arduino up. Plugging all the sensors and cables trying to find out how we would stick it to a large round piece of wood on which people are supposed to hit quiet hard without breaking our fragile mini-computer.

Finally it starts to look like something. After hours of drilling, fixing, sticking and cutting. We have a functional device ready to get kicked.

Learnings

I learned that the first version of an interface is never the good one. There are always things to make easier, more transparent and clear.

 

I learned that conception is all about testing.

 

I learned that I have the legs flexibility of a 90 year old person.

A short video showing the result of this project and presenting the final interface.

Result of our research about the kind of graphic environment our target would like to play.

Florian is working while i'm taking pictures.

One of the first iteration

Florian having good time, while I'm still taking pictures.

Ho and, there is our prototype on the table.

Behold our  wooden masterpiece, subtly codenamed "Return of the Ninja: Cyber-Dragon from Outer-Space Revengeance"

Me, practicing my world famous über-Kick.